It's been quite the year! I'm immensely humbled by how much I have to be thankful for. Here's a little list of what I'll be giving thanks for today... (Starting with the big stuff - roughly 99% of my gratitude today and every day...)
- Emma & Jared... At this time last year, our sweet Emma was the size of a fig and it was rare that we ever got less than 8 hours of sleep. Now our little fig is a hefty 16 lbs, and sleep - what's that again? But even in my sleepy haze, I know how insanely blessed I am to have such a happy, curious daughter and an endlessly patient husband. (Well, I should say endlessly patient with me. I'm pretty much the only thing in Jared's life he has any patience for, even though I rarely deserve it.) And seeing them together - forget it... my heart bursts open and I fall on the floor in a puddle of mush.
- My friends and family... From my sister, to my parents, to my in-laws, I'm not sure I could have made it through these first months of parenthood without the unending support of my family. And my hilarious, beautiful, inspiring girlfriends - they keep me grounded and are always there to remind me that it's okay to have another glass of wine... especially when I'm covered in spit up, haven't showered, and had 3 marshmallows and some tortilla chips for "pre-dinner."
(And now for the other 1% (i.e. the not-so-big stuff)...)
- Hunter wellies... It took me 4 years of living in the Pacific Northwest to finally get some rain boots, and they were worth every penny. Easily one of the top 20 best purchases of my life.
- Stretch denim... Thank you, inventor of stretch denim. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You make getting dressed in the morning post-baby a little less depressing.
- Twinning's Earl Grey... Best Earl Grey. Period. The perfect accompaniment to dreary winter Portland mornings.
- Coconut milk ice cream... Oh how I miss real ice cream. I really really do. But until that glorious day when I can bury my face in a bowl of deliciousness from Salt & Straw, coconut milk ice cream will have to fill the void. And as much as I prefer the real thing, I have to admit that the coconut milk version has been a welcome and much appreciated substitute.
- Oreos... I've had more Oreos in the past 2 months (since learning they were vegan) than I've had my whole life. I know they're not good for me. I know my body is not thankful for the little chemical cookie treats I've been feeding it. But once I can have proper dessert again I won't need them... or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
- The iPhone 4S... I finally upgraded from the 3G to the 4S and feel like I've been living under a rock for the past 2 years. I know Jared was reluctant to buy me a new one for my birthday because he thinks I spend too much time on it as it is, but he bought it for me anyway and I'm soooo happy he did. The speed, people... the speed. I've had it almost a week and it's still blowing my mind.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with lots of love, laughter, and yummy food. :-)