Jared has been searching for the perfect soft pretzel recipe for at least two years, and after combining a couple of recipes, he finally found it. Yes, my husband likes to do things like make us homemade soft pretzel bites on the weekend. He's kind of awesome. Anyway, these little puppies are perfect for a party, sports get together, or random Sunday. And I love them. Here's the recipe...
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups flour , mixed with
- 1 tablespoon salt , more flour if needed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse salt
- In large bowl, stir yeast, sugar and warm water.
- Let rest til yeast is dissolved and is a little foamy.
- Stir in 1 cup flour. Then rest of flour mixed with the 1 Tbl salt.
- Knead on lightly floured surface til smooth.
- Place in oiled bowl, rolling around til all oiled. Cover and let rise till doubled in size.
- Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt.
I prefer them with honey mustard, while Jared is more of a French's Yellow kind of guy. Either way, they're excellent plain, but even better with any kind of mustard. Enjoy!!