I'm happy to report that I reached my goal of having the quilt and ottoman done before the end of my 2nd trimester. Woohoo! I'm not sure I want to know how much worse my back would have felt if I'd left all this sewing for my 3rd trimester.
The Gum Drop Pillow/Ottoman pattern was pretty easy to follow (for an Amy Butler pattern), but I think my choice of flannel is going to come back to haunt me. I'm not sure how it'll hold up over time, and it was stretchier than regular cotton so I ended up needing way more batting than the pattern called for (11 1/4 lbs!!!). So why did I go with flannel? It was the exact color I was looking for. Sometimes color trumps common sense.
I'm also not sure how I feel about it being slip-stitched closed. I've become slightly anal about making sure every bit of fabric in the nursery is removable and washable, so it makes me nervous that this ottoman doesn't meet those criteria. I'm thinking the first time I have to rip those stitches open, take out all the batting, and wash out whatever unpleasantness got all over it, I'm going to sew in an invisible zipper.
Since the ottoman is pretty big (though it's the perfect size for supporting my feet while nursing or reading to the baby) it'll spend most of the time living under the window to clear up floor space.
You'll also notice that we finished painting the Poang! It took 3 coats of semi-gloss (using a foam brush) after sanding down the varnish, but it was worth it. It fits much better in the room than the natural wood did.
Up next... I've been working away on the mobile and I'm hoping to get it done this week. I didn't realize until I had everything cut that the birds need to be hand sewn. Yuck. But I have 4 done, and they look super cute, so hopefully it'll be worth all that extra time. In case you're wondering, it does occasionally cross my mind that my daughter will never remember all this stuff I'm doing for her room, but then I stand in there and see how everything's coming together and it makes me happy enough to no longer care. :)