It took us 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of wall paint, and 2 coats of ceiling paint - but the painting is finally done! As a reminder, here's how it looked before:
And here's how it looks now!
We covered every inch of that room with paint - the walls, the built-ins, the trim, the window, the ceiling, and even that old door. Before we started I had tested some pretty big patches of a couple different colors on each wall, so I was pretty sure the color we picked would work out - but there's always that moment of panic after you get the first coat on when it's too late to turn back and you're still a couple coats away from being able to see the finished product. But thankfully it's exactly what I'd envisioned - a rarity in the life of a DIYer. (PS... the paint is Acro Pure No-VOC from Miller Paint in "Teal Treat" #0712. The white paint is also No-VOC in a semi-gloss finish... they apparently don't recommend water-based paint for trim because it doesn't spread as well, but we used a soft bristled brush and it worked out great.)
You'll notice that the old door is still there... we realized that a new door would also need a new frame and that was just way more than we were ready to take on. So we sanded the old door so that it actually closes, and I even managed to fix the mortise lock so we don't have to replace that either. We're going to leave the glass uncovered for now, but I'll probably add a little curtain for it down the road.
Oh, and here's a close-up of the new hardware on the built-ins:
I'm kind of obsessed.
I can't even tell you how happy I am to have the painting done... not only because it means we can get the furniture, but because having to scoot around on the floor painting baseboards while you're nearly 6 months pregnant really really sucks. Not exactly painless, but totally worth it.